Befriend a Child
At Befriend a Child we support children and young people growing up in difficult life circumstances across Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire to achieve their full potential and develop into confident and competent adults.
Befriend a Child’s motto is to ‘Turn a Frown Upside Down’, the core service is a 1:1 befriending scheme whereby the children are provided with a positive adult role model a ‘Volunteer Befriender’ who meets with the young person on a fortnightly basis to engage in a range of fun, everyday activities which most people would take for granted but which family and home circumstances mean are not realistic aspirations for these youngsters.
Befriend a Child also has several projects which complements its core befriending service. These include:
- Mentoring with MCR Pathways providing mentoring in secondary schools
- Youth Groups
- Play Schemes over school holidays
- Bridging the Gap a kinship carer support group
- Family Food Initiative
Our intandem mentoring service is based at our Hub, a home setting close to Aberdeen city centre. Mentors will meet with their mentee weekly at the Hub, once the mentoring relationship is established they can progress to go out into the community doing activities that they both enjoy.
intandem seeks to help children and young people aged 8-14 years who are looked after at home. Most of the young people that intandem match face a number of difficulties and many have had experiences of relationships which have been inconsistent or unreliable.
intandem seeks to offer these young people a different experience, one where they have opportunities for new and positive activities, where they have choices, where they can learn to trust their own judgement and where they can have fun. We work together to provide:
- Regular weekly visits with a volunteer mentor who holds the young person in positive regard
- Access to safe appropriate activities at the Hub
- Support from experienced and informed staff
- Enough time to build a relationship which allows the young person to develop confidence, skills and resilience
9 Bon-Accord Square